Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Learning in Shantou

With my first trip to mainland China only days away, my mind is riddled with doubts.

I leave Friday afternoon for a three day trip to Shantau, China to teach English.

I am very skeptical of my teaching abilities. I do not speak more than five words of Mandarin. I speak even less Cantonese. Both languages are spoken in the regions around Southern China. What impact can I really make in one trip?

On this trip I am scheduled to teach high school students, learn about China's school system and visit local cultural sites.

Shantou has been a special economic zone since 1979. What the term special economic zone means, I still don't really understand.

The city is located in the southeast coast of Guangdong Province. With its economy expanding rapidly, Shantou has still held on to parts of its traditional culture.

Regardless of my abilities, I am very interested in learning more about the Chinese education system. The prospect of interacting with local mainland students also enthralls me. I only hope I learn as much from them as they will learn from me.

I plan on teaching some English songs and play games. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Christine said...

Oh this excites me! Jessica as an English teacher... Perfect!! I hope you're having a good time. I would love to hear about the differences in learning styles between us Westerners and those in the East. This is such a great opportunity.

Reporting from Asia headlines