Friday, February 1, 2008

The backpacking begins

I'm heading south for the winter.

After nearly a month of studying, adjusting and exploring in Hong Kong, my friend Adelaide and I will be traveling in Singapore and Malaysia for the next two weeks.

Hong Kong's winter lasts for less than a month or so. Without indoor heating in the dorms, it has been very cold. Forty degrees Fahrenheit may not seem that cold for a short period of time, but after a while the cold seems to seep into your bones.

Singapore, my next destination, boasts warmer weather of 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The small country is no larger than three times the size of Washington D.C.

Malaysia's weather should be much higher in the 90s. Instead of worrying about how to stay warm from the cold wind, I will most likely be spraying myself constantly with DEET infused bug repellent to ward off any mosquito-borne diseases.

I only know a few facts about Singapore:
  • The country has some ridiculous laws about spitting out gum (meaning you will get arrested, if caught) among other things.
  • There is a sizable ethnic Chinese population there with a great China town.
  • It is thirty degrees warmer than Hong Kong right now.
  • It is known for great shopping, a night zoo and its economic strength.
  • Malaysia and Singapore split apart in 1965.

I do not know much more about Malaysia:

  • The country is predominately Muslim.
  • It's primary exports are rubber and palm oil.
  • The dominant language is Malay.
  • The two tallest buildings in the world are in the capital city of Kuala Lumpur.
  • Ethnic Indians are facing difficulties as the minority right now (See story below).

My friend Adelaide has been teaching me a few Malay greetings. She even equipped me with a word list. I am finding Malay five times easier to learn than Cantonese.

With a power converter tucked away in my backpack, I will do my best to update my blog regularly. I am not sure how often I will have access to the Internet.

Here are some links to stories in the news about Singapore and Malaysia:

Ethnic anger on the rise in Malaysia

Malaysia bans books for misrepresenting Islam

MM Lee says S'pore and Malaysia will benefit from closer connectivity

Malaysia's PM says about to call for polls - report

Singapore shares close higher after choppy trade

MM Lee says Singapore must find fourth generation of leaders soon

1 comment:

Christine said...

Have fun Jess! I'm so jealous that you get to travel around Asia, Eastern culture is so fascinating to me. Is it cheap to fly around to the other Asian countries while you're in Hong Kong? Take lots of pictures and you better come back with excellent stories. :)

Reporting from Asia headlines