Saturday, February 23, 2008

Island life on Puala Pangkor


Snapper, sting ray and a few other fish I had never seen before lay among ice in a metal container in front of the road side restaurant on the island of Puala Pangkor.

I chose the snapper took a seat at an outdoor restaurant just across the road from the ocean.

The Snapper looked delicious with its red body and meaty skin. Malays as well as Chinese like to present the entire animal when eating a meal. The fish’s body had been sliced in half, leaving the eye looking straight up at me. A thick layer of chili powder brought out the flavor.

Earlier in the day I had been swimming in the ocean where snappers and angel fish swan in and around the bright coral.
The water is so warm here -- clear and blue, the sand white and clean.
Little islands appear on the horizon line covered in thick forest – a reminder that I am in the middle of the tropics, not on the beaches of Southern California.

Large trees line the coast. From these trees are swings made by locals to swing out into the water.

The fish arrived split in two. It had been fired over an open flame in a banana leaf. The white flesh had been smeared with a chili sauce.

I took a bite. The moist fish mixed with the spicy chili almost melted in my mouth. Mixed with the rice and fresh vegetables that we had ordered, I felt the sensation of happiness that only comes with well prepared food.

I took a sip of my Malay-style tea: a dark tea mixed with condensed milk over ice. The ice here is safe to drink as the water in Malaysia is very clean. Even though I mainly eat street food, I have not gotten sick.

For desert, Adelaide and I walked down to the local grocery store to pick up an ice cream. A nice way to cool down in the fresh air. I noticed a slight increase in price over the other places we have been traveling to. Islands are usually like that though.

*PHOTOS FROM TOP TO BOTTOM: 1) A sunset at Puala Pangkor Island. 2) Fresh fish on sale where I picked out my snapper for dinner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jess, that fish sounds fabulous, it is making my mouth water! Your writing is amazing and I love the pictures you put on every post. I can't wait to see more of them when you come back!

Reporting from Asia headlines