Monday, June 2, 2008

Polluted Olympics


Climbing the steps of the Great Wall, I took a deep breath of Beijing air and quickly found myself in a coughing fit.

A deep haze obscured the view of the wall as it winded up and down the mountains outside of Beijing.

Coming from the Los Angeles area, I am familiar with air pollution. The pollution in and around Beijing made L.A. seem clean and beautiful.

The city of Beijing seems to be rushing furiously to prepare for the 2008 Olympic Games. Everyone seems to be anticipating the moment when the torch enters the city.

Nearly every monument, museum and building seems to be under construction. Even the Great Wall was not left untouched.

My friend Adelaide and I agreed that the Beijing factories were working overtime in preparation for the Olympics. The Beijing government has agreed to pay wages to workers to halt all factory emissions during the Olympics.

These measures will be needed if athletes will compete. I could image that the opening ceremonies would be impossible to watch because the view on the other end of the track would be hidden in a haze of smog.

I could barely even see the newly constructed bird's nest from the top of the Ethnic Park in North Beijing. The air pollution obscured everything.
*A view of the Forbidden City in Beijing is obscured by the air pollution.

No comments:

Reporting from Asia headlines