Monday, June 2, 2008

A date at McDonald's??

Couples snuggled up in red booths.

Some laughed while feeding each other french fries and chicken nuggets.

My local friends told me the best place for a date in Beijing is none other than McDonald's. My sister Grace, Adelaide and I ordered chocolate shakes and french fries to observe Beijing's dating culture.

A couple opposite to us sat silently, eating french fries without comment. We ruled that date was a bust. Nearby another couple cuddled shamelessly. A few others were feeding each other fries.

The reasons for McDonald's popularity? My local friends inform me McDonald's is clean, safe and affordable.

In the United States, McDonald's has a reputation for being a fast food joint. In Beijing (and other parts of China), McDonald's has been raised to a higher level of culture.

I bit into a fry and laughed as one couple secretly held hands under the table. Only in China.

*Adelaide, my sister Grace and I enjoying the number one hang out in Beijing at McDonald's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think Ronald will like being referred to a low class in America!
pops

Thomas Robinson said...

Jess, where are you?

Reporting from Asia headlines