Sunday, June 1, 2008

The tea seller


At just under five feet, my Chinese friend Joey, a chain smoker with tattoos, transformed herself into a professional tea seller.

The man standing behind the counter had no idea she is really a freelancer for various Chinese companies in Beijing.

Joey was not lying. I learned quickly that lying is merely part of the art of Chinese bargaining. Transforming an identity is merely part of the game.

Joey was on a mission to find me Yunnan tea as a gift for my grandmother.

Joey had guided my sister Grace and I to a tea shop in the city of Lijiang in Yunnan Province. A tourist mecca, Lijiang boasts the home of the Naxi people, one of China's 54 minorities.

The walls of the shop were lined with jars of various types of tea. The man invited us to sit and try some different selections.

He went to one of the jars, scooped out a handful and walked back to the counter. The bitter aroma of fresh tea hung in the air.

Joey picked up a cup of the dry tea leaves and ran her finger through each leaf to test the quality. She sniffed each cup carefully.

After several cups and selections, I decided on a special puer tea and a green tea. At the asking price of $500 RMB for both teas the bargaining began.

Joey smiled, the young man behind the counter smiled back. A few words were exchanged. Joey turned to me and said in English, "Eighty." I was startled and quickly agreed.

The tea was basically for free. The man packaged up the teas and we left. Outside I asked how she had gotten such a good price.

"She promised to come back later if he gave her a good price," Joey's cousin Michelle said. I laughed, amazed at her ability to get a good price.

It seemed that Joey had not only concealed her identity, but had sold herself for a good bargain.
*Joey stands in front of the Beijing sea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jessica I can't wait to try some , but now G-Ma knows what she is geeting from China!
Papa

Reporting from Asia headlines