Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Water shortages in Yangon


For five days after the storm, Yangon had no electricity and water.

Without electricity the people could not pump water into their homes.
Many collected rain water that fell from the roofs.

In the photo above, a man sells rain water for $5 U.S. dollars a gallon in near the city center in Yangon.

When I left Yangon on Saturday, some electricity had been restored. A man told me he believed the government turned on the electricity so people who be in favor of the referendum.
In disaster areas, the vote has been delayed until May 24.

I have no idea if what he told me is true.

"Today there will be no power," he said on Sunday, the day after the vote.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Wow. Way to end your senior year with a bang. These stories and photos are fascinating. I still can't believe you were there seeing all of this with your own eyes.
Oh, and congrats on selling the photos to AP!

Reporting from Asia headlines