Sunday, May 4, 2008

Stuck in Bangkok: Cyclone Nargis hits Yangon

My heart jumped a little when the flight attendant made an announcement.

"The government has shut down Yangon airport," the announcement said.

Immediately, people began murmuring about a possible political situation.

Then the news reports started coming in.

A cyclone inflicted major damage on Yangon, Myanmar's capitol. Some people on my flight had been delayed for days.

The actual situation is unknown. If the city is as badly damaged as the media reports, then I plan to forgo my tourist plans and lend a hand.

I might not even make it to Yangon if things are as bad as the media has reported. Until then, I will remain in Bangkok.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was worried when i heard that you were going to myanmar, but glad to hear you are safe!
uncle mark

Anonymous said...

Hello Jessica,
I read your report on Philippines - you had such a deep experience! In my first visit there, I was a mere tourist; you have a talent to meet people and to see inside.

I didn't know your itinerary also included Myanmar - happy to hear you are safe.
Kiyoko Y

Reporting from Asia headlines