Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Jay Chau!

"It's Jay Chau!"

I heard a girl from my dorm squeal while walking past her room in my dorm. I was curious as to who could illicit such a reaction, so I turned to google for some help.

Then I learned. It's Jay Chau.

This Taiwanese singer is as popular here as Justin Timberlake in the United States.

I learned recently from my roommate that Hong Kong does not have a great music scene. She politely informed me that all the best singers come from Taiwan, not Hong Kong.

She could not explain why. Taiwan's music is just better, no reason required.

I first came into contact with Mr. Chau while busting out karaoke last week (sorry, no slide shows or video for that adventure).

The quasi-pop singer is more than just your run-0f-the-mill back street boy. He has a lot of versatility, something I learned during the wee hours of the morning while getting to know some locals.

Jay Chau, raps, dances and even pulls out a few Latin moves.

It turns out that Jay Chau even makes movies, or least makes appearances in movies. I'm supposed to watch one very soon.

While he may not be the hottest Taiwan singer out there, but he is, dare I say it, a talented performer who has captured the attention of at least one American.

Thanks to a friend, the best part is I even own 15 of his songs now.

11 comments:

Kim said...

Loved this articele! You are covering all sides of Hong Kong, economics, the arts, religion, history, etc. Keep up the good work and excellent writing.

Anonymous said...

Jess, I wish I could have seen you do karaoke, that would have been absolutely amazing. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun, though. Keep up the good work, I love reading your posts!

Anonymous said...

It would be the Jay Chau/Chow/Chou post that I chose to comment on...

Seriously though, good effort on covering the HK adventure/ experience. I figure with a few more posts I can just start refering family and friends to your blog instead of actually having to email them myself...

Anonymous said...

We, your friends, demand video of this karaoke experience, please. :-) Perhaps we can arrange a foreign-exchange program. We'll take Jay Chau for a while and they can have Justin Timberlake. We'll throw in Britney for good measure. Should I blast the video at a loud volume in the office?

Aleida Auld said...

Hey lady,
I see the headline now:
"Jessica Davis becomes enraptured with Taiwanese Pop Star"

Keep writing. I miss you.

Love!
Aleida

Anonymous said...

I like the headline "Jay Chau embroiled in steamy love affair with foreign mystery woman" better. Wordy, yes... but the tabloid press always goes for sensation before brevity.

That, and it's my life ambition to be one of those unnamed sources or a "close personal friend"... I can see it now!

Grace said...

wow jess, dipping into some pop culture!!! lol who would have thought it?

Anonymous said...

Dad said:
No comment
love
Dad

Anonymous said...

haha jess i think i'd prefer a video of you singing karaoke! :)
haha miss you!

Anonymous said...

haha sorry the piano2flute one is from me.
umm yeahh and by the way i like jay chau's music it's quite entertaining :)

Peter Burke said...

Hmm, I never thought you were of the Asian persuasion. j/k! By the way Jess, you are missing probably the most exciting campaign season of our lifetime right now. I thought I was done with television news until the campaigning started. Now I just can't get enough of what the candidates have to say! Keep up the good work. ~Burke

Reporting from Asia headlines