Saturday, January 12, 2008

Food, forests, fishermen: The week in review

A view of the mountains from my bus stop at United College in The Chinese University of Hong Kong.

The symbol of United College, which reminds me of something from ABC's television series Lost.

Adam Schall Hostel, where I live with my roommate Candy Wong, who is from Hong Kong.

A pagoda I discovered on campus during one of my early morning walks while fighting jet lag.



The Chinese like to show they used the entire animal in preparing the dish, as shown by the head sitting on the plate. Yes, I ate some of the chicken.

One of the local fisherman waved to me at Avenue of the Stars in Kowloon, across from Hong Kong Island.

A Chinese junk ship making its way around the harbor.

The famous view of Hong Kong Island. The light show from this spot at night is supposed to be amazing. I plan to attend sometime in the future.

Near Stanley Market at sunset.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Jessica!! Your trip looks amazing. Hong Kong looks like a beautiful city. Your blog is pretty interesting, too (ya, I've been following you). God's Blessings!!

Lauren

Bethany said...

Yes, that second photo is very Lost-like!:)

And I've had fish served w/the head, but chicken? Wow. I hope you'll do a post on the food sometime - that's one of my favorite things about experiencing new cultures. I'm sure you'll have opportunities to try all sorts of things that would make us westerners' eyes bulge, along with some delicacies that will leave us drooling.

I've really enjoyed your posts on religious aspects of the culture. You're doing a great job digging up the details to what you're witnessing, rather than solely making assumptions based on your observations.

Jessica Davis said...

Thanks for the comment Bethany. I've been working on a food post, but it's taking me some time. I have to get all the names correct. I promise to have one up within the week.

Anonymous said...

Great pics! Particularly the last one. The chicken scares me. I think I'm going to eat pasta tonight instead. :-) And you're right, it looks like you did find the Lost island! Is there a hatch nearby?

Grace said...

I recognize that famous view of hong kong from Laura Croft's Tomb Raider!

Christine said...

Beautiful pictures! I am really very jealous Jess! :) This blog has been a fantastic read and I'm always excited to see what kind of story you will have next. I admire your ability to spend so much time digging up information and creating complete observations. I'm taking notes!

Allan Davis said...

Dad said:
Jekka, I would like to hear about the noodles and the dim sum. I loved the chicken. Have you seen them and the duck hanging in the windows? Have you made it to the Antique district? Have fun, I mean chow fun or lo mein.
Dad

Reporting from Asia headlines