Thursday, January 3, 2008

Hong Kong lights

The night lights of Lantau Island shone bright, greeting me on my arrival to Hong Kong.

Originally, I had confused the high rise buildings perched on the edge of the waterfront as Hong Kong. But I learned from a Hong Kong resident sitting next to me that this was merely the country-side, not downtown Hong Kong.

The drive from Lantau Island (near Hong Kong Island) to Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) in the New Territories near Shatin was largely uneventful.

But once the driver reached campus, we almost immediately became lost for the next 25 minutes. The campus reminded me of the streets of San Francisco, except narrower, with crazier drivers, more hills and cars on the wrong side of the road. My venture out the next day to check in with the University was no less clear. I have a feeling for the next few weeks, the word lost will become almost synonymous with the amount of rice I have been eating.

That is when I began to notice the city of Shatin across the harbor. CUHK sits in the middle of some large mountain-like hills covered in lush green foliage. In the dark, I did not notice how beautiful the area really is. (I will try to upload some photos tomorrow.)

Most Chinese live in high rise buildings in apartments. Only the very wealthy live in actual houses. The effect is large sky rise buildings everywhere, including a more rural place in the New Territories like Shatin.

I have felt the impact of housing shortages at CUHK already. I am living in a triple with two other roommates, which is not a problem.

Speaking of where I live, I have to say that it already feels like home. I just wish they had toilette paper in the bathrooms.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And so it begins! Thanks for including the links, because I was really curious to get a look at your new campus and learn more about where you're staying. Sounds like you're starting the adjustment process and finding your way! Can't wait to see the pics...

Anonymous said...

So you run off to the other side of the world without nearly as much hair as you once had, only to end up in a large city filled with very small places that lack the necessary commodities of toilet paper. Sounds like a grand adventure so far. Keep up the good work.

Bethany said...

You're a far cry from Whitworth, that's for sure! Best wishes as you navigate the new campus and get settled in.

Anonymous said...

Wait until some child shows up trying to sell you tp while your on the pot, keep some change handy! I suggest those little Kleenex packs in the pocket, purse, backpack, but don't get caught without one!
Good luck!
papa

Dustin Smith said...

I always thought that Hong Kong was one giant city for some reason, how much is it that or more like A island filled with different cities?

Jessica Davis said...

Thanks for the question Dustin. The answer is rather complicated. I will give it my best shot based on my knowledge of only being here for one week.

There are several islands within Hong Kong: Hong Kong Island, Lantau Island, Lamma Island, etc. In addition there are also several cities such as Sha Tin and Kowloon.

Hong Kong Island is rather small, but full of large sky scrapers. The surrounding cities are also full of large sky scrapers because of the housing shortage.

I hope that answers your question.

Reporting from Asia headlines