Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Swimming with sharks

Alone in the middle of a corral reef I popped my head up to readjust my mask. Water had almost completely filled the goggles I had rented for the day.

At least 10 islands came into my view.

While traveling in the Philippines, I decided to celebrate my college graduation with a trip to Alaminos' 100 Islands National Park.

The boatman, Rody, I had hired for the day was waiting in his boat "Mercy" at a make-shift dock not too far away. (See his contact details below.)

I fixed my mask and plunged back under the warm water.

Different types of colorful corral and fish met my eyes. I looked up and saw something gray and quick move in the distance just out of my view. I looked again. A small grey reef shark was swimming not 20 yards away from me.

I fought to stay calm. I was not too far from Corral Island. I swam calmly toward it.

I sat on the island completely alone for about 20 minutes. I was a 200 yard swim from the boat and the platform.

I knew the shark was not dangerous. Still, a shark is a shark.

I gathered my courage and headed out to snorkle one more time. The reef was too incredible to ignore.

About 20 minutes later, I felt safe and calm. No sharks were in sight, until I looked to my right.

I saw a larger reef shark swimming around a school of fish. I looked to my left and saw another one circling not too far from me.

My heart jumped, but I remained calm. The sharks were circling the fish. I decided not to get in the way of lunch and turned to swim away. I looked back a couple of time, but saw nothing but blue ocean.

On my way, I looked down and saw at least 20 giant clams on the bottom. I wanted to linger, but felt it was better to get out of the water. I could handle one shark, not two, even if they were harmless.

I swam safely to the dock, a little winded. The swim seemed longer than the first time I had done it. Maybe I wasn't as calm as I thought I was.

TRAVEL RECOMMENDATION

I had met Rody by chance through his nephew Marlin, a motto taxi man. (The easiest way to get around in the Philippines is to hire a motto.)

I decided to travel the Philippines without a guide book, completely alone. I came in with no set itinerary.

The best part about having no set plans is the interaction with the locals. I am dependent on them.

That's how I met Rody. Taking a five hour bus from Manila to Alaminos, I arrived not knowing where to stay, the price range or where the tourist information center was.

The minute I exited a group of motto-drivers flocked to me. One young man with good English asked me if I wanted to go to the islands.

For $80 pisos ($2 USD), he agreed to help me find a hotel, a boatman and something to eat. I hopped on board a little apprehensive. I had heard stories of tourists who never returned after taxi rides.

Marlin seemed honest. He spoke directly to me without looking shifty or apprehensive.

He told me he was taking me to his uncle who was a boatman.

For $800 pisos (the going rate) I hired Rody. I rented snorkel equipment from a man named Boots at Lucap park for $250 pisos.

The hotel had a bucket shower, but was half the price of any other room in town at $500 pisos. The family looked after my safety and helped me to get to know the locals.
CONTACT RODY FOR A DAY OF ISLAND HOPPING AT:
Rodolfo "Rody" Tuazon. Lucap Blvd. City of Alaminos, Pangasinan. PHONE: 639289838393

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wow, Jess, not only are you traveling by yourself, but you are traveling without a set itinerary. You are amazing, I know I could never do that! Although there were some days where I did not know what I was doing, every night and where I was going was always planned out. It sounds like you are getting a real experience and a greater understanding of the country and people by interacting with the locals. Keep up the good work!

Reporting from Asia headlines