Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Riding the Jeepney

Twenty minutes had passed. My patience was starting to wear thin.

I was stuck outside of Baguio City at Tam-awan Village.

The rain poured down in a torrent. I waved for taxis flying by. No one stopped.

Finally, I turned to a local and asked where I could find the jeepneys to town (The Philippines' unofficial public transportation system).

A five minute walk up the road toward town was the answer.

I hiked up in the rain. Although I was surrounded by poorly built houses on the muddy hills, I found the view beautiful. Dark and white clouds were in the distance. I could just make out the South China Sea.

I heard a diesel engine coming from behind. I turned. Nope. Just a truck full of garbage.

I kept trudging on. The rain lightened. I began to enjoy the view more and more.

I crossed the road to look at a hill full of colorful slum houses. I reached for my camera. Suddenly, I heard a rumble from behind. A jeepney was trudging up the hill.

I ran out into the road. It couldn't miss me. The driver came to a stop and I hopped into the back next to an old man.

I passed up the $7.50 piso fare and sighed with my camera still in hand. I never did get to snap that photo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oddly reminiscent of the butterfly farm adventure in Malaysia, aka. the adventure where we walked along the side of the road for an hour and despite both out best efforts did not actually arrive at the butterfly farm.

Glad to see you're having "experiences". Also seething with jealousy. SEETHING...

Reporting from Asia headlines