Saturday, March 8, 2008

And the winner is ...

In spite of the majority of voters wanting me to go to Manilla, I had to let my wallet guide my decision.

Vietnam will host my next set of adventures from March 17-25. Because I will be traveling for only eight days, I will not be bringing my laptop. Instead I will be hunting out Internet cafes to type out and publish my blogs.

Vietnam holds a special place in my heart. In my extended family, the Babcocks, adopted a Vietnamese boy several years ago. Henry is a wonderful son to them, cousin to me and friend to all. I don't think of him as anything other than family. Now I will be exploring his birthplace with two Australians (both Anthropology students).

The trip will begin in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). I will hopefully explore the Delta and other parts of the city.

Then I will travel up toward Hue and the DMZ zone. There I hope to explore tunnels created by the Viet Minh and North Vietnamese Army during the Vietnam War (also known as the Second Indochina War and the American War). Around Hue, I also hope to see how local villages have rebuilt themselves thirty years after the end of the war.

Not all of my adventures will center on America's involvement in Vietnam. On Easter Sunday, I will most likely attend a Catholic Church since most Christians in Vietnam are Catholic.

E-mail or post comments on any questions you want me to explore while I am in Vietnam. I am only there for eight days, but I will do my best to find answers.

2 comments:

Aleida Auld said...

I didn't get my vote in, but I would have definitely voted for Vietnam. :)

I'm on pins and needles to hear more...
Love!
Aleida

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear all about Vietnam! I know you'll have a great time. I'm particularly interested to hear about the Easter celebrations, as I had no idea most Christians in Vietnam are Catholics, and I will also particularly look forward to hearing about the tunnels. Have fun!

Reporting from Asia headlines